About the Heights Observer Advisory Committee
The Heights Observer serves Cleveland Heights and University Heights as a forum for members of the community to write about and discuss local issues, ideas, events and other goings on that people who live here want to discuss. It seeks to encourage community engagement, transparency in governance and an appreciation for the qualities that make the community desirable to those who live here. A copy of our mission is available here.
The Heights Observer is published by the nonprofit FutureHeights. The FutureHeights Board of Directors is responsible for maintaining the Observer’s financial sustainability and adherence to its basic role as a community soapbox. The board is served in this function by the Heights Observer Advisory Committee.
The Heights Observer Advisory Committee is made up of individuals from the community and is chaired (or co-chaired) by a member of the FutureHeights board. The committee exists to assure community representation and transparency in the ongoing operation of the Heights Observer. In that role, it discusses and makes recommendations to the board and publisher on issues including:
- Editorial policy
- Operating processes
- Financial and operating sustainability
- Projects, partnerships, affiliations and initiatives
- Other issues as they arise
The size and makeup of the Advisory Committee is not specifically defined, but includes a board-member chair and the publisher/FutureHeights Executive Director.
Members of the committee will generally meet the following requirements:
- Resident of one of the communities served (Cleveland Heights and University Heights)
- A current or previous contributor to the Heights Observer project in some capacity (writer, editor, distribution volunteer, specialized advisor, etc.)
- Interested in the Heights Observer project as defined above
- A practitioner in civility and civil discourse
- Able and willing, given reasonable advance notice, to attend committee meetings, generally held on weekday evenings, as often as once a month
- Able and willing to participate actively in projects or initiatives that may be undertaken as a result of committee discussion
For a list of current members of the Heights Observer Advisory Committee, click here.
Applying to join the Heights Observer Advisory Committee
Members may serve on the Heights Observer Advisory Committee for as long as they remain active and constructive participants. It is the role of the committee chair(s) to determine the appropriate size and makeup of the committee.
Application to join the committee can be made at any time. The application will be reviewed by the committee chair and members of the committee, followed by an in-person meeting with the committee chair. Because the committee meets no more than once per month, the application process may take several weeks.
Click here for an application to the Heights Observer Advisory Committee